Houston isn’t the only city worth visiting when you’re travelling around Texas, but it’s certainly the place to be if you’re looking for an extended holiday in one particular locale. There is much to see and do, with an incredibly diverse culture to immerse yourself into. Oh, and contrary to popular belief (or maybe it’s just us) the city isn’t named after the late, lamented Whitney Houston, but as Beyonce was born here, you have an extra reason to visit that isn’t already on our list. So, book yourself a stay in one of the city’s hotels – we enjoyed the Hotel Ylem – and consider the following when planning your trip.
Reasons To Say Howdy To Houston
- The incredible culture, with more museums and art exhibitions than you will ever have time to see in one visit. From walking with dinosaurs to examining fine arts, there really is something for everyone. Then there’s the theatre district which hosts some fantastic events around the year, as well as the magnificent historical architectural displays that that are spread throughout the city. Culture-buffs will not be disappointed.
- Fantastic food choices to suit every tastes, with American favourites such as cheeseburgers, steaks, and waffles, as well as some incredible Tex-Mex offerings, due to the city being close to the border. There is so much more, however, so check out this guide to Houston’s best restaurants, as you are sure to find something there to suit your tastes.
- Out of this world adventures, quite literally in some cases, as Houston is home to the NASA Space Center, one of the top attractions in the city. Budding astronauts can take part in a wide range of space-themed activities, as well as checking out some incredible artefacts brought back to Earth by our intrepid space heroes. Come back down to Earth for more Houston adventures, skydiving your way down from Spaceland to visit such attractions as Splashtown, the biggest waterpark in the city.
- Channel your inner cowboy (or cowgirl), and get a taste of the Texan wild west. Start by doing a bit of shopping for your cowboy boots, and then head to the Houston Livestock and Rodeo Show to yee-haw and round up the livestock. You can also honky-tonk at the Firehouse Saloon, practice your two-step at one of the dance halls, and get the full Wild West experience by staying at a ranch on the Texas Ranch Life experience.
- Check out the hip side of Houston, and get involved in the city’s nightlife. From rooftop bars and food places to underground dance clubs, you are bound to find somewhere to get your groove on when the lights have gone down. There is something for all ages too, with Midtown catering for the younger crowd with it’s rocking bars, to Uptown for those looking for something a little more civilized and sedentary.
If you need any further reasons to visit Houston, then pick up a guide book or head online to find out what else this incredible city has to offer. Say howdy to Houston? You betcha!